Tuesday, October 6, 2009

How can I remove Norton Antivirus? The uninstall program is password protected and I don't know

Then you apparently aren't wanted to remove it. That function was set by the Administrator of the system. If you don't know it, you're not them and cannot de-install it until they give you the password... along with the rights to install and remove programs if those aren't present.



How can I remove Norton Antivirus? The uninstall program is password protected and I don't know the passwordfree anti virus



Try this (from experience) when you get to the password entry screen, leave it blank and hit enter. I spent hours trying to get past my Norton password that I had never set. I finally discovered that if you didn't set a password when you installed, you could just press enter on the log in and get administrative control.



How can I remove Norton Antivirus? The uninstall program is password protected and I don't know the passwordinternet security software



Sure this is not some malicious application? Haven't ever heard of a password protected uninstall file.



Alternatively, try the people at Symantec, whose program this is, after all. They might not like people uninstalling their software, but they should be able to help.
If you can't obtain the password, you can try deleting the program file folders themselves and all other traces of Norton AV, then clean out the registry with a registry cleaning software, then finally removing any further "debris" with Norton WinDoctor which can be used from the disc without installing it. If you don't know what you're doing, you should leave it as is, having an antivirus software on your computer is better anyways. If you're trying to remove it because it's expired, you can buy the upgrade from ebay for a lot less than the retail price. Good Luck



Reminder: don't do anything to your program files unless you really know what you're doing.
My norton antivirus is part of their Systemworks cd and I normally have to insert the original Norton cd to uninstall anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment